Monday, October 10, 2011

Navy 5/Army 10


I signed up for a few running races, to actually make myself get out and run. Truth be told, I really don't run a lot to prepare for my Triathlons, which must change. Although, I am completely over training for any event due to burn out, I am sticking with my race schedule (minus the 1/2 marathon in New Orleans). Since my last Triathlon 4 weeks ago, I have completed the Navy 5 miler and Army 10 miler. I can say that I am consistently slow, but my endurance has improved. 

On September 25th, I completed the Navy 5 miler in 1 hour and 5 minutes. I really surprised myself by running the entire race, minus one water stop. My legs hurt in the first mile and a half, but by mile 2, I was in my groove. I ran a 13 minute mile, but I finished and felt really good that I could go the distance without all of the walk breaks that I usually take.


I ran a few times before the Army 10 miler race today, but quite honestly, I am just burned out. I want to do this stuff because it is what I WANT to do, not because I HAVE to get ready for a race; I want to exercise, not train. The thought of being ready by a date on the calendar stresses me out and takes the joy out it for me right now. I really had no IDEA how I was going to complete the 10 mile race today. I have never run further than 6 miles, which is usually hard for me. My plan was to take it 2 miles at a time, stop for water and repeat 5 times. I found myself rejoicing at every mile marker sign, but I only stopped for water every 2 miles. I am extremely proud of myself for running the first 8 miles with only stops for water, but after that... the story changed. Man, the 14th Street bridge/ I-395 broke me! It was uphill and UN ENDING...! I saw Lisa about 500 feet in front of me and it was my goal to just catch up to her. When I finally did, I am sure that I mean mugged her and she said, "I don't have anything left". We walked in silence together for a little while and then did a run/walk/shuffle-like thing for the last 2 miles. I was so happy to see Pier and Gladys there cheering us on!! They gave me the extra push that I needed to get to the finish line. I finished in 2 hours and 13 minutes, which equates to another slow 13+ minute mile run. Slow but steady, and finishing is all that counts for me.
I really have the desire to keep this running thing up and get faster. I joined a running club and will meet for track workouts this fall and winter. I plan to keep my running endurance and build upon it. Wish me luck!

Next up: Seagull Century (100 mile bike ride) on Saturday. And then, nothing scheduled until March 17th! :)





4 comments:

  1. "Slow" is relative. Although I do know what you mean. It's how I describe myself, but not others. And remember, at least you are out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Man, the 14th Street bridge/ I-395 broke me! It was uphill and UN ENDING...!"

    That piece gets me EVERY year. This year was no different. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mile 8 is tough! It took all I had in me just to shuffle/run/walk along it myself. You know I'm very proud of you. You finished and that is all that matters. :-) Just stick to your off season plan and I'm sure your running will improve over time.

    Now, that my racing season is over it's time for me to get in the water and try not drown trying to improve my ultra snail like swim time. LOL!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome job. Remember the most important thing is to be out there. Don't worry about the time, just the finish. You rock.

    ReplyDelete