Monday, November 5, 2012

There comes a time...


In 2010, I spent a small fortune on swimming lessons, a new carbon road bike and everything to go on/with it, cycling gear, running gear, swimming gear and race entry fees. I didn't break the bank as much in 2011, but I did register for 5 Triathlons and a few running races. In 2012, I signed up for 2 Ironman 70.3 races (at $300 each) and two running races. I have not added up how much I have spent over the last 3 years, but I am certain that it is in the thousands. Especially if I include race nutrition, nutritionists, physical therapy, acupuncture, travel expenses, etc. I am at a point where I have to really focus and buckle down in order to achieve some financial and personal goals. After making financial cuts in many other areas, I realize that I need to take more drastic measures to reach my financial goals. So, it is with great sadness that I have decided to take the 2013 Triathlon season off and not spend any money on race entry fees.

It is the most heart wrenching decision, as I feel that being a Triathlete is now woven into my soul and makes up a part of who I am now. Since I know so many Triathletes and others that swim, bike and/or run, I plan to keep my fitness up by training with others for their races. I want to take 2013 to not only work towards my financial goals, but to get more fit, lean and faster. I would love to make my Triathlon comeback by completing a full Ironman in 2014. I have thought about raising money to race or to volunteer in exchange for free race slots in 2013, so I don't have to take a break from racing. I may have to get creative in order to race without paying the entry fees, as I am positive that not racing in 2013 will be extremely difficult for me.

If anyone reading this have any ideas or suggestions of how I can continue to race without incurring the expenses,  please let me know  (rwilliams2500 at gmail dot com).

Thank you for following me on this Triathlon journey and please know that I WILL be back! I see that I am getting better with time and I will not stop here. I vow to come back faster and stronger than ever before.


Tri Becca

2 comments:

  1. This makes me sad. I understand...but I love following your tri journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca
    I have a deal for you… I will comp you your entrance fee for the Philly-Tri and you can stay at my place, race weekend is June 21st-23rd 2013. BUT here’s the deal… you have to bring your great smile and personality PLUS take a few days off so we can have some fun in the city after the race.
    Let me know (the DC girls are all invited!)
    Love Philly Joe

    ReplyDelete