Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Rev 3 Williamsburg: Olympic distance triathlon

The weekend started with a meet up for Fast Chix on Friday at Chili's. It was great to see so many facebook friends in person!The camaraderie of 30+ women all coming together to race and support each other was second to none! Last year, we were excited to have 5 Trikandians racing. Who knew we could turn Williamsburg into into what looked like a sea of chocolate goodness that was as loud as we were beautiful and racing strong? I could not be more happier than to be among so many of my sister friends. It was Von's birthday, so we surprised her with a beautiful cake and let her know about the lip gloss exchange PRANK. We got her good! Good times with the ladies on Friday. Good times...




Saturday: Layla and I got up before the crack of dawn to meet the Fast Chix that were racing and cheer them on. Everyone did amazing and finished without incident. We all supported each other for a practice swim and Layla and I went on a short "shake out" ride to make sure our bikes were ready for our race on Sunday.
Me and Driq post practice swim


RACE DAY: Like last year, my training wasn't up to par with what it would take to have a good half distance triathlon. I managed to get more training in this year, but even with a 10 mile run in the bank and some 3 and 4 hour rides, I just didn't feel fit enough to put it all together. I didn't want to be out there suffering because my fitness isn't where it needs to be, so I downgraded to the Olympic distance race: 0.9 mile swim, 27 mile bike and 6.2 mile run.

Pre Olympic swim with our sherpas and relay team members!


Swim: 0.8 miles - The wait to get started was longer than expected, because the dock that we were jumping off with the timing mat collapsed. The race organizers were also adjusting the course so that we would not have to deal with the current that some of the half distance triathletes had to contend with. When we got started, it was uneventful for me. I found myself being overly cautious and sighting a lot, which I believe tends to slow me down during my open water swims. I need to get back to sighting every 5-6 strokes. It was a straight swim to a turn buoy, a turn and then a straight swim. It was a little confusing once we turned, because there were red buoys that were a different shape, the boats the Athletes serving Athletes had were orange and a few times I thought they were buoys, the sun was in my eyes and I just could not see anything. I just followed the swim caps ahead of me and brought it on in. Overall, not a bad swim, but I really want to get faster in open water.


Bike: 27 miles - I was having a really good ride. When ever I felt my speed dip, I said out loud to myself, "come on, don't mess around girl!!". For some reason that worked. I felt strong out there.... until I hit a pot hole. HARD. The trees provided some nice shade, but they made it hard to see some spots on the road. I immediately knew that this was a bad hit. I heard the air coming out of my tire and started to slow down. What I absolutely love about the way my mind works, is that I immediately stared to think about how I was going to quickly work this out. I decided to take my shoes off, put them on my handle bars, put my bike on my shoulder and just run it in to transition. Yeah.... That was until I realized that I was EIGHT miles from transition. So, my plan B was to get to work and change my flat tire. I had everything I needed and Robert Clarence and those guys at Arrow Bicycles made me change my tire a few times in the past to make sure I knew what I was doing. That was a few years ago but, I knew that I could figure it out. I was doing well, but kept asking folks passing by to call Sag support to help me. A few Fast Chix and some others offered to stop and help, but I declined. I really didn't want to mess up anybody's race. A fellow Fast Chix and BTA member stopped and wouldn't leave my side until Sag support came out. I am eternally grateful to them. I had it just right but was a little nervous to use the CO2 cartridge for some reason. When they used the CO2 cartridge, my tire made a popping sound, because the tube wasn't seated properly. They got me fixed up and I was on my way. I finished the last 8 miles strong and was on to transition.

Run: 6.2 miles - I felt good starting the run. I planned to make it a great run and was going to remind myself to not mess around and get it done. The plan was to just walk the aid stations and take something at each one since it was getting hot. The run started in the grass and before long, I stepped into a pot hole, rolled my ankle and found myself on the ground. I have had so many ankle injuries in life that I know how to tell if it's a bad roll or if I can continue on and deal with it later. Thankfully, I knew that I could pick myself up off that ground and continue on. I am not sure why I walked as much as I did. Maybe it was the ankle or maybe I was just tired, but that run took me longer than I had anticipated. Oh well. I got it done.

Post race: I was so hot and sweaty and just felt angry (probably just hungry) and non social so I headed straight to transition to get my bike, to the car to change and then... my medal fell off the dang ribbon. They had run out of Olympic medals, so they gave me a half distance medal. Well, the medal was exactly the same, the ribbon was different. I took it falling off the ribbon as a sign of something. I was hot and hungry, but once I got some food in me and took a baby wipe bath, I felt better. The Fast Chix took the podium in a major way! We represented well, had a lot of fun and stayed glossy
while doing it!

Von!!! She took to the podium on BOTH days!
Note the medal is NOT connected to the ribbon. Ugh


Next up: Chicago Super Sprint and Olympic, Atlantic City 70.3 and maybe New Orleans, 70.3 if Alexis registers first. I have some running races on the books too (Army 10 miler, Marine Corp Marathon and Across the Bridge 10K).

All in all, it was a good race and an even better weekend! I laughed SO HARD with the Fast Chix. This is the same distance triathlon that I did in Bear, DE 1 month ago, and this race was not a struggle fest like that one. So, I AM making improvements! I still like this triathlon life. It makes me feel like a badazz, trikandian, superhero of a woman!
Seeing Mr. Peanut made me happy. I took this picture for my sister JuJu.

No comments:

Post a Comment