Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tour de Cure


On this past Sunday, I cycled 33 miles for Diabetes. I have raised $645 to date (just a little short of my $700 goal). Although it was hard, I never wanted to quit... at least not until I reached mile 20. That always seems to be my breaking point: the dreaded 20th mile! I seem to loose any motivation at that mile marker and really start to question my sanity and why I decided to ride that far...

It was quite easy to motivate myself to keep pushing, as this was a Charity ride. A few people gave donations and asked that I ride for their family and friends... some even asked me to ride for them. I thought of my Mom and how she had a stroke recently. When the doctor told me that this is consistent with what happens with Diabetes patients, I knew that fundraising and riding was not something that I was going to back out of!

When my alarm went off at 5am and every 5 minutes for the next 30 minutes, I started to question if I should do the ride. I was sleepy and it was looking like it was going to rain. I had just had my hair done and didn't want to get it rained on. I was nervous because I did not know if the route had crazy hills and if the group that I was going to ride with would leave me in their dust. I thought about all sorts of reasons why I should not go. I got dressed and said that I would at least show up for the group picture and would leave if I wasn't motivated to ride. When this young girl that was wearing a red jersey which read, "I ride with Diabetes" told me "Thank you for riding for me, I teared up, said "Thank you" and headed to my car to get my bike. I was in!

I was still nervous, but a little happy that the two guys showed up with mountain bikes and I knew that I could probably take them and the chic that rode with us. She was lean and all, but I thought that I could take her! Mind games, I tell ya... mind games... I thought that they were all out for joy ride and was trying to take it easy to ride in a group at first, but then I had to break away. My motto is, "if you're gonna do it, then DO IT!". We finally got out of the neighborhoods and when we hit the trail, I TOOK OFFF. I had to get in a little speed work, so I left them. We all caught up at the rest stop and probably rested a little too  long. The guys were all goo goo eyed for the Coconut Water girls and so, we hung out.


We took off again and at the 20 mile mark, I started to get tired! We stopped for another photo shoot at mile 23.


I knew that I had to finish this thing and had to quit playing with them, so I took off and left them again. I played a little game and tried to pick off every chic or dude that I could see in front of me. I got passed by quite a few people and tried to keep up with them, but ended up eating their dust. I keep pushing and before you knew it, I was DONE!


I played around and cheered other folks on and then about 10 minutes later, the others rolled in.


We got some grub and stretches and even hung out with  a little character that I had never seen before, Doc Broc! He made me so happy!


I brought my stinky self home, showered up and hit up Travel Diva's Anniversary party. I tried my best to not look as tired as I really was. I think that I clean up pretty well!


THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all of those that supported me! Yall ROCK!


Love,
Tri Becca

1 comment: