Saturday, March 16, 2013

The heart of the matter


I was out cheering at the Rock and Roll DC Marathon and 1/2 Marathon today and this runner screamed "HEY TRI BECCA!!!". That made me realize that I have been slacking on the blogging lately. Back at it.....

So far this year, I have run the New Orleans Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon, been on two 25 mile bike rides and only been in the pool about 5 times. I have been lacking the motivation to do anything until my Team PHLY tri suit showed up for the Tri Rock Philly Olympic Distance Triathlon from Philly Joe last week. I heard a few seams popping as I tried it on, which made me immediately call my girl to get signed up for some kick ass boot camp classes and schedule some rides/swims/runs with friends. Oh yeah, I'm BACK now!

I am really itching to do another Ironman 70.3 this year. I just know that with proper training, I can get a 6 hour finish time. I have my eyes on Augusta in September. I'm starting to feel like I need to have at least 1 real challenge on the schedule this year to help keep my sanity. I simply love overcoming obstacles and meeting my goals. Perhaps taking a year off from paying for any races is a bit extreme and most importantly, detrimental to my psyche. I decided to not pay for any races and redirect those funds to other things... but I don't want the other things to have to include a trip to sit on somebody's velvety couch. So, I may have to alter the plan. Cutting the triathlon, travel and entertainment budget is driving me kinda wacky. I need to have at last one of these things to look forward to. I am grateful for Dawn and Philly Joe for signing me up for the 1/2 marathon and Olympic Triathlon and to those that have hooked me up with free entries to some other running races. The thing is, I really want to do another Ironman 70.3. I really need the physical and mental challenge of doing another Ironman 70.3 this year. What's life if you are not "TRI-ing" to be better? That's the question that looms in my mind when I take the challenge of Triathlon out. Sure, I could find a different challenge, but I choose Triathlon. It's at the heart of the matter.  It's like TRIATHLON is woven into my DNA and is an integral part of who I am now. I will start to look at some financial options to make it happen. I have some close family in Georgia, so the Augusta Ironman 70.3 may be a reality.

Stay tuned... oh, and that New Orleans Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon 3 weeks ago? That was the hardest race to date, due to some hip pain. I finished and got a pretty medal, but it's still painful to even think about that race.



Tri Becca



1 comment:

  1. I LOVED AUGASTA!!!! It was an amazing race with great support on the swim and run.

    ReplyDelete