Monday, March 28, 2011

Inspiration

Sometimes we inspire others by just being. By just setting a goal and showing others that if you can believe it then you can achieve it. Last year, I set a goal. I was not trying to make a statement or inspire anyone. I was just trying to be a better Rebecca. I wrote about my experience, because I wanted to capture it all and I shared it with the world. It was not a slick Jedi mind trick to get my friends to join me. I had no idea the impact that my words and actions would have on others.

On yesterday I ran into Pam, the only other black woman in my Triathlon training program last year. Pam was in the swim class the day when that mean ugly lady screamed at me when I kept stopping. She was in the Chesapeake Bay that cold May morning when I was freaking out about swimming in open water for the first time. Pam was also with the group the first time I tried my clipless pedals and with the first group ride when I got left by the group because I was too slow. Pam and I only interacted briefly, as she was  much faster and I never saw her after the initial hello and then I was left in her dust.

Pam shared with me on yesterday that her most memorable moment during her first Triathlon with me last year was seeing me get out of the water. If you read my race report, you may recall my loud cheering squad and the picture of me running and jumping in joy when I emerged from the water. How about that? It was her first race too and her most memorable moment was seeing me rejoice after overcoming that challenge. 

Pam shared with me that her Mom and Aunt are now training for their first Triathlons after reading my blog. She said that whenever they are saying how they can't do something, she refers them to my blog again. How Inspiring!

5 comments:

  1. that's wassup!!!! Go Becca!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned me into a Tri-Crackhead. GO BECCA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I started to tear up when she told me that. Although this has been one of the hardest things in my life, it is proving to be the most rewarding! I got BK swimming, TravelDiva drinking the Tri crack juice, 4 new folks that will race with me on June 19th and 10 people flying in to race with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what it's all about. Being a blessing to others through your words and actions. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I just started to tear up when I read this...SERIOUSLY! How beautiful Becca! You ROCK!!!

    Keelah

    ReplyDelete