Monday, January 30, 2012

Misconceptions





There are many misconceptions that are held about Triathletes and the sport of Triathlon in general. I try to educate folks and let them know that NO, I am not running marathons, I also swim and bike. I try to inform folks that no, you don't have to be Olympic competitor-like fast to do this. And then today, I read a post by a fellow Triathlete that is intimidated, because I guess we make it seem like we are super good at all of this and she can't hang. Boy, is THAT the furthest thing from the truth.

Here is a little information to help clear up some of the most common misconceptions:


  • No, this is not easy for us. We are just committed to training and pushing ourselves beyond our pre-conceived limits. It is hard. We throw out 4 letter words on tough hills, we fall, we cry, we whine, we battle the alarm clock, we even question our sanity at times.
  • No, we are NOT all running marathons. A Marathon is JUST a running event. Triathletes swim then bike and then run. We do all 3 sports. We are Triathletes. There is a difference.
  • No, we are not all super fast. This is an endurance sport. We are not all sprinting through the water, sprinting on our bikes and then sprinting through the run. We have to conserve some energy during the swim and the bike for the run.
  • There are 4 different distances of Triathlons (Sprint, Olympic/International, Half Ironman, Ironman distances). We are not all out here completing Ironman distance races. There is a huge difference.
  • No, we are not all super skinny/lean. The reason for this is diet. It is hard for us to consume enough calories to give us the energy to complete this AND loose weight. There is a lot of information out there to help us with diet and we are all striving to be as lean as we can be. This is a great challenge for some of us.
  • If you can't swim, you can still complete a Triathlon one day, IF you are committed to learning to swim. I took my first lesson in January of 2010 and completed my first Triathlon in June of 2010. 
  • If you don't own a bike and you still want to complete a Triathlon, you can still do so. I know an Ironman Triathlete that trained for his first Triathlon by only taking spin classes and then he borrowed his female cousin's bike on race day. You can always rent a bike for race day. While it is better to have your own bike, you can still do this IF you want to.
  • If you are not a great runner and you can still walk, you can complete a Triathlon. Yes, you will be done faster if you run the last portion of the race, but plenty of people walk or do a walk/run.
I hope this was informative and helps to clear up some misconceptions.

Countdown to Eagleman Ironman 70.3: 131 days!!



Tri Becca





4 comments:

  1. I love that you wrote all of this out!! I love that you tell people the honest truth -- ANYONE can triathlon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is hope for me. I am ready to take the plunge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job. This is very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this...I was contemplating a Sprint ..and then a Duo...I just don't know ...but this helps!

    ReplyDelete