Saturday, January 12, 2013

Finding a way





I have these little goals that keep me in check, like "Never wear double digit sized clothing again" and "Never wear a size Large again". Whenever I get back to a size 6, I am going to start "MISSION SIZE 6 for LIFE". Just little vain goals to help me to stay on track besides having to be ready for races. I noticed that my size 8's are fitting snug these days, so besides having to be ready to run a 1/2 Marathon in 6 weeks, I have my "never wear double digit sized clothing again" goal motivating me to get moving.

Last night I left the house and discovered a flat tire on my car. The car did not come with a spare tire, so I had to get it towed to the dealership. My plan today was to go for a long run, attend an inauguration training session and a short bike ride with a friend to help her get familiar with her new bike. I decided to run to the dealership  to get my car, then cycle to the training session and to the meeting spot for the ride. However, it seemed that every which way I turned, I was met with obstacles. Nevertheless, I remained committed to finding a way to  accomplish today's fitness goal of getting that long run in.

There is always something that we have to do or something that comes up and it's so easy to just push fitness aside. I am trying to stay committed to living an excuse free life when it comes to my personal health and fitness. I had a late night dealing with 2 different tow truck companies that turned into a 4 hour ordeal, had to help a friend out and didn't wind up going to bed until 2am. Sleep is not something that I sacrifice much, as I get headaches, don't look my best and feel cranky if I don't sleep enough. So, I slept in this morning. I learned that I couldn't pick up the car until 2pm, so that ruined the plans of running there before everything else I had to do. I decided to just cycle to the training and back, hitch a ride to the dealership, reschedule the ride with my friend and run this evening. I went to get ready to cycle to the training session, but remembered that my helmet and bike pump were in my car which was at the dealership. So, I switched the plan to running to the training session and back  (5.69 miles total). Sure, I could have taken the train, canceled or hitched a ride to the training session, but  I made a way to do what I had to do and accomplished my fitness goal. No excuses.

Next Saturday, I will be volunteering with my company for the National Day of Service, attending more Inauguration training and have to run 1 hour 45 minutes. The plan is to run to the volunteer event, run to the training session and take the train/walk home. So, incorporating my training into what I have to do is my way of staying committed. Finding a way is what it is all about. I'm not too busy for me. Besides, I need for these size 8's to fit comfortably again.

No comments:

Post a Comment