Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The lungs man, the lungs...

So, I have decided to pick up with my love affair of all things Triathlon again. I have had a very nice hiatus and need to get back on schedule. This intermittent training over the last 3 months has caused me to have some visually physical "adverse effects"! I was diagnosed with Bronchitis (AGAIN) about 2 weeks ago and didn't feel well for about 2 weeks before that, so I haven't been a total slacker without an excuse. I got in 20 miles on the trainer on Saturday and ran 5.5 miles on Sunday. Monday was weights and today I went for a run again.... if I can call it that. I guess my lungs are not back to 100%. The plan was to bang out 5 miles, but my lungs were NOT having it.  I felt like someone was giving me a bear hug the entire time. I kept trying to cough to clear my lungs and get more air, took deep breaths, changed my breathing pattern every way I knew how, but nothing was helping. My friend is training for a 1/2 marathon that is in 19 days and needed a 5 mile run today. I am sure that after moving as slow as molasses and me stopping periodically to hack up a lung, she was just done. She suggested that we just stop. I felt bad and wanted to suffer through another 1.3 miles, but we called it quits at 3.7 miles and I could not have been happier. I drove straight to the pharmacy to pick up my inhaler prescription.  I needed the prescription filled STAT! Man, there is nothing like not being able to breathe! I felt bad that my friend didn't get her miles in and I am sure that we were running much slower than her normal pace, but I hope she understands. I feel better already after taking that inhaler tonight. While there is a steroid in it and I try to avoid taking more steroids (I take steroids for a skin/scalp condition and a nasal steroid), I will be taking this sucker daily!

I am running the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon in New Orleans in 6 weeks.  I am really stoked about training over the next 6 weeks and getting back to swimming, cycling and weights. The only Triathlon on the schedule so far is the Philly Olympic Distance in June. I am going to try really hard to stick to using my kettle bells regularly over the next 6 weeks. Try...


I hope your year is off to a great start!!

Tri Becca



No comments:

Post a Comment